Saturday 2 June 2012

Post IML feelings

I'm still refusing to assume that IML weekend is over. Few months ago somebody told me IML lasts for a lifetime, and now I understand why.

To the eyes of the some people, it might look like lots of guys fighting for a sash. To the ones who tried it, a life changing experience. I can't really explain, nor I want to, what happens inside the magic of IML. But I can tell, with no shame at all, that it has truly change my life.

Believe it or not, I started this journey hesitating if I'd be able to do it. Probably my age, my inner insecurities... I don't know. I used to see it far unreachable. As part of my commitment to show the world what European leather community consist of, I tried to forget about it, and not only go with the flow, but support my European brothers to reach our aim.

My personal goal, was giving that speech, spread my message, and show everyone that a leatherman can be cheerful, and smily, and still be masculine.

When I started meeting the other guys, through Facebook and social networks, I really felt like I wouldn't be able to compete "with people I see on calendars" (meaning hot, and people that do amazing stuff for the community). For us, Europeans, that community feeling is very different from the US community. But equally admirable.

Once I arrived to Chicago, I was embraced with so much love, care and protection. I was the baby bear of IML 2012. And all the guys proved to be great brothers helping their little brother. I was shocked on the impact of all of this, of so many picture request from people from all over the world, people that followed us on the net.

During the contest, I couldn't sleep much. And even the contest looked like a dream. I am not ashamed to admit I was one of the criers of this edition. What happened inside those walls, has been one of the nicest experiences of my life, and probably, the one that will impact the most in the man I will become.

To everyone that makes this experience possible. I don't ink you realise the impact you've had on the contestants. Everyone kept telling me it was amazing to see us all together having fun on stage. If they only knew how much fun we got backstage... Hehehe... Handlers, producers, emcees, judges... THANK YOU.

To my European brothers: David and Hans. THANK YOU for sharing this journey, for making presence there. We know it's not easy, but you made this great! And the guys of BLF: Juergen and Peter, thanks for your support and surprises! Love you.Looking forward to meet my beloved brothers at Mr Leather Europe in October!

To my IML class. For you guys, I honestly have no words. I even have to stop writing this to swipe my tears. You guys have changed my life. And pieces of my heart are spread now all over the world. In return, I've got a special place for you in this furry heart. I still remember myself breathing deep before going on stage, dancing like crazy on that ramp, trying to throw those nerves away. But best of all, I still feel all those hugs, the expression of true love, friendship, and brotherhood.

To Woody, AC and Kevin. Congrats guys! You got 46 brothers supporting you!

I often joke with Sly Hands, telling each other "he created me". Behind that joke there's a huge truth. This journey would have not been possible without him. I love you guapo. And thanks to everyone I met in the last 6 months, that left their footprint in the path of my year.

I rub my medal with nostalgia. Feeling again what I felt when I wore it last weekend. I smile, I'm honoured and and proud to know that...

...IML lasts for a lifetime.

Yours in leather,

Osito
KILKER ALCARAZ
Mr Leather UK 2012

3 comments: